Sunday, February 3, 2013

Valentine's Day Wreath

I tried to make this wreath.  And while it was not a complete failure, it only looks somewhat like the picture. 

I started out with a heart shaped foam wreath form and wrapped it with some grey yarn.  To get around some of the trickier curves, I just used some sewing pins to keep the yarn in place.  So far, super easy.
Then, I took some sheets of felt and heart shaped cookie cutters, traced the shapes onto the felt, and cut them out.  So far, so good.
Then, I did the same thing with some poly-fill batting to make the hearts poofy.  Still good.
I quickly realized the hearts weren't going to be as poofy as I liked, so I trimmed a little bit off the edges so the batting fit inside the felt and then just curled up the excess to make a little poof.  And this is where I start to improvise!
Things start to take a turn for the worse here.  First, sewing yard through felt is a challenge in and of itself because of the thickness of the yarn.  But I got it through somehow and felt like it needed something at the end.  So I started to tint the white yarn pink with a marker.  Big mistake.  This just made the hearts look awful.  I only did this because I used that same pink marker to trace the heart shapes on the felt and I think the sweat from my hands trying to get the white yarn through the felt caused the pink to bleed onto the yarn a bit.
I then pinned some pink ribbon to the back of the wreath form to act as a hanger.
And here's the finished version.  G was not a fan of the dangly hearts (which are suspended from the wreath form by a piece of yarn and a sewing pin.
So, I just took off the dangly hearts and now this wreath lives on my laundry room door :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment