Friday, March 8, 2013

A Simple Slipcover

One of my big project this week has been getting L's playroom organized.  Before, it was a mish-mosh of G's medical textbooks, comic books, and other random stuff he had in there when the room was used as his office.  We got everything out, except one big piece- his grandmother's old record player.  This thing is a beast and it's one of his prized possessions, so moving it to the basement where it could run of the risk of being attacked by leaking water or whatever rodents decide to set up shop  down there (hey! we live in the country!), was not an option.  I also knew leaving it wide open in the destructive path of a 2 year old was an equally bad option, so we came to an agreement....I would make a simple slipcover for it.

I decided to use a heavier fabric from the home decor section of Joann's.  Man....this stuff is flipping expensive!!!  Thankfully it was 40% off.  Jeez!  I ended up getting 3 1/2 yards of it, which was more than I needed, but, it was the best figure I could come up with trying to do math on the fly since I forgot to plan this all out before I went to the store (spoken like a true crafter!!). 

I began cutting it- a top piece, two sides, and a front and back.  I made sure to leave a little extra on the ends to account for seam allowances and to help slip it over a little easier.  There was no need to make it a skinny slipcover!  Then, I sewed the sides to the top piece and the front and back to the top piece.  And then, sewed all the sides together.  It really came together quite easily...less than a half hour!  I think it turned out pretty good (for totally winging it and not having a pattern!!) and is very kid friendly.

No comments:

Post a Comment