Monday, May 7, 2012

Mini Cuisine- April/May

First, I am really bad at this whole blog thing since it's been a week and a half since my last post.  Maybe I'll get better.  Maybe not.  Anyways.  Instead of just posting random pictures of food on my Facebook page, I thought it might be a nice change of pace to also post where I found the recipes in case you want to make any of these things for you little one(s)....or yourself, because let's face it, they look pretty adult friendly to me!

Breakfasts:

Cake Batter Pancakes- I have been making and freezing pancakes and waffles for a while now, and these were a nice spin on your everyday breakfast treat.  Sprinkles make everything better!!

Light Southwest Breakfast Pizza- I love the fact that this is a healthier alternative to breakfast and many of the food groups are represented.  I also love that my little man loves a little spice in the morning!

Bacon and Egg Uncrustables- no photo yet because I haven't technically made these.  I'm waiting for my Sandwich Sealer to arrive from the kind folks at Amazon.  But I'm sure these will be a hit!


Lunches and Dinners:

Sausage Stuffed Loaf- the name was a little iffy to me at first, but, this turned out like a yummy, delicious stromboli.  I used turkey sausage instead of regular sausage and could not, for the life of me, find frozed bread dough, so I improvised with Pillsbury Italian Loaf bread.  I also failed to take a photo of this one and many others (seriously, it was such a long two weeks of cooking that by the end, I just didn't think of it!)

Baked Chicken Fingers- I love the Cake Boss (aka- Buddy Valastro) and I equally love him as the Kitchen Boss.  This recipe came from him.  I like how these are a bit lighter since the base is olive oil vs. egg.  L seemed to really enjoy them too!  To freeze these, after I coated them with breadcrumbs, I "flash froze" (placed on a baking sheet in the freezer for about an hour) and then put them in ziploc bags.

Beef Enchiladas- these might be my favorite thing I made this month.  When I was baking one the other day for L, it smelled so yummy.  The recipe says to place five in a baking dish and freeze that way.  Like the Chicken Fingers above, I flash froze these individually so I could pull one out at a time.  The recipe also said it would make 10...I was able to get 12 out of it, which was great because the pack of tortillas I bought had 12 in there.

Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken- It took everything in me not to devor the pan when it came out of the oven.  The recipe yielded a lot of chicken, so once it was cooled, I evenly distributed it into ziploc bags to create "meals". 

Chicken Bundles- This was an interesting one to make.  Not because it was a difficult recipe by any means, but, because I nearly messed this recipe up not once, but TWICE.  The first time, I realized that I forgot to put Cream of Chicken soup in the recipe, as it was still sitting on the counter.  So..in the trash they went and off to the store I went to get more ingredients.  The second time around, I realized that the recipe did NOT call for Cream of Chicken soup and they were perfect fine the first time.  UGH!  So I remade them at 8pm.  Then I got awake at 3:30am and realized I forgot to put them in the freezer.  So down to the kitchen I went to package them up, only to find one missing.  Yep, somehow G managed to sneak one.  I tried to yell at him at 3:30am but he was sound a sleep.  Lucky!  These are really good and make a good family meal too.

Whole Wheat Pizza Puffs- I am a sucker for anything in mini muffin form.  These are great for a lunch.  I omitted the olives, because, I don't like olives.  I flash froze these once they cooled and threw them into a ziploc bag to freeze.

Chicken Broccoli Rollups- Another hit and so easy to make!  I think dill adds great flavor to anything.

Broccoli Cheddar Biscuit Muffin- A common denominator (remember that from math class) this month was broccoli.  I had a huge box of it in my freezer and wanted to use it up.  Luckily, L seems to like it!

Mini Vegetarian Meatloaves- Anything baked in a muffin tin is brilliant.  I questioned these but L has not, so we're going with them.  And I'll probably have to make them again since I bought too much ground beef substitute (found in the Organic section of Giant).  Next time, I'll also go a little lighter on the ketchup/brown sugar topping.  Even when you freeze them, the topping does not fully freeze and they are a little slimey.  The cube of cheese in the middle is splendid!  Flash freeze, package, and away you go!

Lasagna Cupcakes- Personally, I hate lasagna because I don't like ricotta cheese.  But, these almost made me a believer.  They smell so good!  Wonton wrappers (found in the produce section) take the place of noodles and hold everything together.  I flash froze these too.


Snacks:

Bite Size Apple Pies- One word, YUM!  Apples, cinnamon, sugar, and pie crust make these a delicious snack and the perfect size for little ones.

Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Squares-  All of L's favorite things wrapped up into one yummy treat.  Flash freeze and these are perfect portions for a mid-afternoon snack.


So, now you are probably wondering...where does she find all these great recipes.  Many of them come from my favorite freezer cooking website Once A Month Mom.  Each month, they come up with several "menus" for different taste buds (traditional, diet, gluten/dairy free, whole foods, vegetarian, and baby foods).  The baby food one is where I find the majority of these since they are tailored to little ones.  Some months, the menu is geared towards kids as young as 6 months (unfortunately we are beyond that stage), but, I have found that anything from 12 months up L seems to enjoy.  I have also found a TON of great recipes that I bookmarked on Pinterest.  Feel free to follow me at www.pinterest.com/kohler2009.

All of the above recipes should get us through the end of May, so stay tuned for my next cooking adventure in June. 

No comments:

Post a Comment