Friday, May 18, 2012

CSA- Week 2

Sorry for the late post...it's been a hectic week.  Before I tell you about the fabulous box of veggies I picked up this week, I wanted to tell you about the changes I made to my anticipated "menu" from last week.

First, the strawberries.  Instead of enjoying them as they were, G thought it would be fun for me to whip up a Strawberry Pie.  Since I had a pre-made crust in my pantry, I said "why not?".  Glad I went with that because it was totally delish!!!  And relatively healthy :-)  Note- I said "relatively".

And, second, the bok choy.  Yeah, this was pretty much a disaster and G had flashbacks to when we were in Disney at the Hollywood Studios at the 50's Prime Time Cafe and he thought it would be "neat" to order the collard greens.  If we get them again, I'll probably try to just throw them into an Asian inspired salad.

Everything else was fabulous though, especially the asparagus.  YUM!  OK...onto Week 2.  This week we only got veggies, which was a little disappointing as I looooove me some fresh fruit.  And so does L.  We received Kale, Sugar Peas, Spinach, Asparagus, Bibb Lettuce, and Mint.  So...here's what I did...

Kale- I found a recipe on my favorite site OAMM for a Potato Kale Soup.  Since G and I have a strong fondness for any kind of Potato Soup (especially Houlihan's...mmm!!!) we figured we'd give this a try.  It did not let us down.  I left out the hot mustard powder (since that ranks up with the collard greens in G's book of foods on the naughty list), but, it still tasted great.  The Kale didn't have much flavor, but, it was nice to know we had a punch of "health" in our soup.  Cheese would have been awesome in this soup too.  Maybe next time.  The recipe yielded 4 meals, so we ate two and froze two.

Sugar Peas- These were great and so fresh.  I steamed them and then we ate them with spray butter and garlic salt.

Spinach- So I attempted to make an Argentinian Flank Steak (from the Williams Sonoma Cookbook).  Basically, you take a flank steak and butterfly it.  Then you layer it with a tomato/garlic paste, prosciutto, spinach, carrots, onions, Parmesan Romano cheese, and bread crumbs.  Then you roll it up and bake it.  The baking part was where I went wrong and should have timed it better.  The inside was OK to eat but the outside somewhat resembled sneaker leather.  I'd definitely try it again and this time pay more attention!

Asparagus- steamed and sprinkled with Parmesan.  A crowd-pleasing, easy side dish

Bibb Lettuce- my parents had the joys of eating this (along with some spinach- shhh!  don't tell my dad!) in a salad I made for them Wednesday night.  The lettuce was so fresh.  Nothing fancy about the salad.  Throw in your favorite veggies, topped with your favorite dressing, and away you go.

Mint- I wasn't sure what I was going to do with this.  My original thought was Mojitos but I don't like the overpowering flavor of mint.  G suggested Mint Tea.  Excellent idea and I think I drank an entire pitcher.  Doesn't it look so refreshing??  If I get more mint (or I should say when I buy more mint) I'm going to try and make a Mint Sun Tea.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!  L and I are looking forward to the Dogwood Parade and festivities tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment