Wednesday, May 9, 2012

CSA- Week 1

Yesterday, I picked up the first of 26 boxes of fruit and veggies G, L, and I will be enjoying this Spring, Summer, and Fall.  We signed up for a CSA program at Strites OrchardWhat is Community Supported Agriculture (CSA), you may be asking yourself?  This program has become a popular way to buy fresh, local, seasonal fruits and veggies from local farmers- because, let's face it....our farmers are being pushed to the side with the convenience of supermarkets, big boxes, and wholesale clubs.  One of the nice things about Strites Orchard, is that they also offer 10% off the entire market to their CSA members (in case your weekly box of fruits and veggies is not enough). 

I was ASTONISHED at how much we got in our single share box yesterday.  Check it out:

We received 4 bunches of scallions, that were the biggest scallions I have ever seen....I had to curl the one bunch to fit in my veggie drawer.  The head of lettuce is ginormous, and takes up half of my veggie drawer.  The asparagus and strawberries were a more reasonable size and the baggie of herbs consists of parsley, chives, and tarragon.  The other veggie is bok choy, which I had to do a little research on how to use it.  My fruits were temporarily displaced as this guy takes up my entire other drawer in the fridge.


So...how do I plan on using all this??
Strawberries- no brainer...great healthy snack for L and I.  G may, or may not, get to sample these since he's working all week :-)

Asparagus- Since the weather looks nice, I may grill this up or saute it with some Parmesan cheese

Herb Blend and Scallions- I'm going to saute these with some shrimp.  I also have some leftover pasta salad in the fridge that the scallions will be a wonderful addition to.

Lettuce- Can we say Chicken Caesar Salad?!?!  Yep, that's dinner tonight!

Bok Choy- still going back and forth with this, but, I think I'm going to stir fry it with garlic and ginger and combine with the shrimp.

Excited for some good, healthy eats this week.  Can't wait to see what we get next week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment