Saturday, May 26, 2012

Cooking Adventures and CSA: Week 3

I'm really horrible at keeping up with this blog!!  But, I've been busy cooking away, so I guess that can be my excuse.  So let's rewind....

L and I spent last weekend down at my parent's house for the annual Dogwood Festival.  It was a lot of fun!  L enjoyed watching the fire trucks, police cars, motorcycles, and bands.  Afterwards, we had a feast back at my parents house and fortunately, I didn't have to cook.  I did manage to make these little gems though...
They are Strawberry Rice Krispie Cupcakes and I went as far as to make homemade strawberry marshmallows since I could not find one single bag of the Kraft ones at the store.  They were a big hit and the flavor was great.  I upped the amount of marshmallow the recipe called for, because the first time I made them, they were rocks by the next day. 

So we got home Sunday from our weekend away and Tuesday it was time to pick up our next box of goodies from the orchard...
This week, we had asparagus, hull peas, romaine lettuce, homegrown strawberries, kohlrabi, and dill.  So...here's what I made (I haven't used the peas or kohlrabi yet...more to come on those, hopefully!):

Asparagus- again, just steamed it, put some garlic salt on it, and used a little spray butter.  Can't go wrong!

Romaine lettuce- there was a TON of this.  We made Chicken Caesar Wraps and a huge salad for a dinner with friends.  And...I still have some left.

Strawberries- these were delicious, so G suggested I make a Strawberry Bundt Cake.  I'm glad I did.  Here's what it looked like before the glaze...
And here it is once it's glazed and ready to be eaten...
Heavenly!

Dill- Since G does not like dill and only eats Ranch salad dressing, I took the opportunity to make a Fresh Dill Salad Dressing for myself and our dinner guests.  Sometimes dill is a little overpowering, but, I found this to be the perfect blend.  And SOOOO fresh. 

So I keep mentioning our dinner with friends, and I made my new, go-to, favorite recipe....Chicken Pesto Stuffed Shells.  I can't get enough of these!

Or this...
Hope everyone has a happy and safe Memorial Day weekend!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment